Monday, February 20, 2012

The talk and the walk

Something happened a few weeks ago, something I haven't really felt I should discuss... but I think I need to just to wrap my brain around it.

It starts with a brand old cell phone.
I had upgraded my cell phone in December with the intention of giving my daughter the old one I was upgrading from.  It isn't much, but it does have android and bunches of geek toys for my budding geek.  She's 12, so with appropriate supervision I don't feel this phone will be any trouble for her.
I may have been wrong, in hindsight.
She told me as we were switching phones that she needed to make sure to delete her text messages from the old phone.  Now, the few times I have upgraded to a new phone, I remembered my old phone forgetting all of my info, whether my memory was wrong or what, I'll never know.
The old phone's message history did not erase, and after about the 20th time of her telling me she really needed to erase her texts, even after I had assured her it wasn't a problem... I decided I better find out what was in there that she was so intent on deleting.

Now Lily, she is my oldest, she's also my only daughter.  I feel sometimes I live a bit to vicariously through her, she's like my clone, looks just like me, and worst yet, acts just like me.
So, I was expecting the kind of messages I used to write with a pen and paper to my friends in school.. and there were some of those.
there were also racy pictures, not too bad, but enough to raise my eyebrow.
there was also cyber sex type texting, not at ALL something I felt she should have been even thinking about.

So, she texted with the boy... she said that she loved him and wanted to spend more time with him.  His number came in from Florida.
He talked of getting his licence.
He texted pictures of the car he wants to get.
and he texted how he wanted to do it to my little girl...
This little boy is lucky I do not have his junk in hand to feed it to him.
Also, in a crazy effort to try to get rid of this boy, Lily started texting him pictures where she made herself up to look like she had a black eye.  (I had wondered why she wanted black eyeliner and black eyeshadow, but meh...) and texts that she had been chained to a pole all night one night.  This boy child was appropriately concerned.
So, I blocked him using google voice, which is something you can bind to a cell phone's telephone number.
But I somehow suspect it didn't end there.  That was almost 3 weeks ago.
I get this email from my ex this week, Lily has requested to go to a theme park in Florida, and he graciously accepted her request.  They are going on one of her school breaks...
Why does this seem to be like a REALLY bad idea?
My ex says she'll never be alone... but did he ever consider that she doesn't want to be kept?
I tried to explain this to him, but he says I am too worried, that he'll be able to keep her safe...  I have no reason to believe otherwise... but seriously...  The cell phone's area code comes from the same area as the theme park they are going to...
I wish I could just turn my brain off.

No comments:

Post a Comment