Friday, April 20, 2012

Intricacy



The Celts believed that all things were intertwined; that life was based on pattern.
I believe this to be true.  Some can see the pattern as simple as this text on your screen; others have a hard time finding the path.
I’ve lost my path somewhere between the children, and schooling, and finally my transition to the work force, however… Every now and again, I am lead back to it.  Usually in the form of people I help. 
Not the people on the phone so much as the people I interact with on a daily basis, my co-workers and friends.
In the past 2 weeks, we’ve been dealt a devastating blow at our quiet little call center.  We’ve not had a death in several years, and then suddenly we’ve had 2 in two weeks.  One took their life, another was taken from us.  I didn’t know Ronny that well; he sat quietly near us, but didn’t really say much.  He was a kindly gentleman and no one realized he was suffering until it was too late. 
Stanley, however… I have known Stan for years.  He was very much a part of the fabric of our little corporate world.  A loud smart ass, with a wealth of knowledge and a big grin plastered on his face, we saw him on Monday.  Same old Stan, big grin, poking fun at co-workers, and emailing out helpful tips about how to do our jobs better.  On his way home, he was killed in a horrible crash… The ol bloke never saw it coming.  He didn’t even hit the brakes, we don’t know what happened but my best guess is that he had started a super early shift after working a late shift; I suspect he just fell asleep.  It makes me feel better that he probably didn’t suffer.
But… it’s been sad to come to work.  I’ve just found myself from time to time staring in the direction of the two empty desks, listening for voices that I’ll never hear again. 
That’s not the only change, of course…
I think I described it to my old confidant best: “but it seems like the world is more fluid around me than it has been previously.  And change is good, of course... but too much of it at once sends me to my old security blankets; even though I don't sleep with them every night or anything like that, I still have to make sure they are on the shelf in which I carefully folded them and put them away...”
Been seeing a lot more old friends the past few weeks, ones that have come to the forefront for me, the piano player, the movie maker, the banker, the murder mystery guys, people from Ren fest I didn’t think I’d see again for a while… it’s been odd to be so social.
It seems like everyone is suffering or undergoing some major life change.
Hear me out here; I don’t think the Mayans were entirely off… I think the world as we know it is ending.  That doesn’t mean we are all going to die or anything, but it does mean that perhaps the way we have always looked at things may be changing.
I’m just trying to find my way through the madness, back to my beautiful and curvy path.  The pattern is still there.
Life is pattern
Pattern is life.
Ahimsa

No comments:

Post a Comment